Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Oxford

I'm finally in Oxford!! I can't believe I'm finally here. I've heard so much about how amazing this city is and how beautiful the university is, but I still think it's exceeded my expectations.

After a week in York, we traveled up to Hadrian's Wall in Northern England and were pleasantly surprised to be staying at these BEAUTIFUL bed & breakfasts in the countryside. I got a hot bath, some amazing amazing food and a little rest while enjoying the Roman remains on the wall. Hadrian's Wall was the northern frontier of the late Roman Empire. The wall is still generally standing today and runs between the thinnest point of the United Kingdom and used to be the boundary between the empire and the Barbarians (England & Scotland). We saw some amazing preserved Roman forts and got to do a 3 mile hike along the wall with some beautiful views from the hilltops.

We made our way to Oxford on Sunday, and we're housed at the beautiful Lincoln College. Oxford is spread around the city into thirty-something small colleges where students are housed and dine. I'm lucky enough to have a single room here at Lincoln and live right in the heart of the city for the next 6 weeks :) We went on a walking tour of the city and saw a bunch of Harry Potter filming sites, which was pretty awesome. We had our first High Table dinner and started classes today.

I'm in love with Oxford already and already having the most amazing experience! Can't wait to continue this journey and get to know this city over the next 6 weeks.

Sarah


PS - Here are the photos of Edinburgh and York I didn't get to post on my last blog.

View over Edinburgh, Scotland from a hilltop hike

 York Minster Cathedral
Tattoo Performance in Edinburgh

No comments:

Post a Comment